IN 2022, LIGHT OF LIFE SERVED OVER 3,000 UNIQUE INDIVIDUALS FACING HOUSING AND FOOD INSECURITY.
“For those we serve, we found 25% of the homeless population benefits from a housing-first approach. For the other 75% of individuals suffering from homelessness, they need wrap-around services for them to be successful. There are core, underlying issues that caused them to become homeless in the first place — severe mental health, addiction, or trauma. No matter where an individual is throughout their journey of homelessness, we want to understand their unique needs and address the root cause of why they became homeless in the first place in order to provide them with next steps to help them transform their lives.” – Rev. Jerrel T. Gilliam, Executive Director
Tributaries of Homelessness
LIGHT OF LIFE RESCUE MISSION
Connects those facing homelessness to additional services, programs, and resources to find the best solution that fits an individual’s unique needs.
Increase of Allegheny County’s homeless population since 2021
Of Allegheny County’s homeless have been diagnosed with a mental health condition
Average number of weekly evictions in Allegheny County
Our work at Light of Life truly begins with the incredible efforts made by our Outreach Services. Outreach gives us the opportunity to make initial contact and directly engage with someone in need of help through our Street Outreach Team, Food Pantry, and Donation Center. Once connection has been made with a Light of Life team member, individuals in need can begin to receive information on next steps to access emergency services, programs, or resources.
Connect with a member of Light of Life’s Outreach Team to request access to Light of Life’s Services or Programs
Of the current homeless population are women. Women & Children make up the fastest growing homeless population
Number of homeless students in Allegheny County reported for the 2020-2021 School year
1 IN 7
Individuals experience food insecurity in Southwestern PA
Light of Life’s Emergency Services give every man, woman, and child experiencing housing or food insecurity safe shelter, a hot meal, and opportunity into a new life of independent living. Our goal within our Emergency Services is to provide basic needs and create opportunities for individuals to be loved well by our caring staff in hopes they will commit to entering Light of Life’s long-term programming placing them on a path of life transformation.
While receiving any of Light of Life’s emergency services, inquire with a dedicated staff member about entering a Long-Term Program to begin making steps towards life transformation.
Unique individuals served at Light of Life in 2022
Meals served through Light of Life’s kitchen and Food Pantry in 2022
Light of Life’s Long-Term Programming gives men, women, and children the opportunity to transform their lives from homelessness, poverty, or addiction into healthy members of our community; allowing them to be restored into who God intended them to be.
START YOUR JOURNEY
Complete a needs assessment to determine which program is right for you. Start your journey in making the next steps of life transformation.
Individuals who have gained employment in 2022
Individuals who have obtained housing in 2022
Aftercare is considered for the first year after a Light of Life Program graduate moves into their own housing. During that first year, graduates in the Aftercare program maintain contact with their Care Team Leader every two weeks. Because of this new life transformation, there will always be ups and downs the client may face on their own, which is why ongoing support and staying connected to Light of Life is crucial for the graduate. After Light of Life staff follows the graduate for a year, they are connected with our latest graduates and seasoned alumni as mentors that help keep them connected for continued support.
SUSTAIN AND GROW
As a graduate in the Aftercare Phase of Light of Life’s program, you have gained employment, have become eligible for housing, and are completing ongoing support by staying connected to a Care Team Leader at the Mission.
Number of Graduates in 2022
Alumni status is considered for ALL Light of Life graduates. Individuals have the option of choosing to be a part of Light of Life in some capacity if they wish after graduation. Graduates can choose to be a peer mentor, come back to volunteer in some capacity, or take part in alumni events or gatherings and keep in contact with other alumni. The Alumni Program helps the graduate stay connected to the Mission and build relationships with others who have gone through Light of Life’s Long-Term program.
KEEP MOVING FORWARD
Remain in community, retain employment, secure housing, sustain and share hope of life transformation!